One of my creative resolutions for this year was to finally sew more again. Fortunately, I recently had another really nice occasion to sew small gifts like the DIY cuddly pillow! I became an aunt again a few weeks ago (ok, actually great aunt, but that sounds terribly old like Aunt Prusseliese). That’s why there will be more DIY ideas for small and large children here in the near future. However, the sun pillow will never reach the youngsters, because my daughter has long since taken it.
So when I start sewing sun pillows, I’m definitely ripe for spring :)! I already had everything I needed for the pillow at home. You will certainly find the ingredients for the DIY pillow in your sewing box!
You need that for the sun pillow
- Remnants of fabric in yellow or patterned (the mustard yellow upholstery fabric is from Stoff & Stil, the patterned fabric was once available at IKEA)
- Remnants of wool and a thick embroidery needle
- Filling (or the contents of a pillow)
- Sewing kit
- free trapezoid template
This is how you sew the cuddly pillow
- Cut two circles with a diameter of 32 cm from the yellow fabric.
- Embroider a face on one of the circles with scraps of wool. Alternatively, you can paint the face with fabric crayons.
- Print out the trapezoid template and cut 10 x the large trapezoid and 10 x the small one.
- Sews the trapezoids together to make small pockets like rays of the sun, which are open at the bottom.
- Fill the sun’s rays with a little cotton wool.
- Now you put the rays to the test at the same distance on the sun. You leave out one beam, it will be sewn in later when you have turned the pillow.
- Then fold the rays inwards and place them on the edge.
- Place the second circle on the pieces with the back side up and carefully pin everything in place. Leave the gap where the last ray of sunlight is missing so that you can turn the pillow over later.
- Sew the pillow together and then turn it over.
- Fill the pillow with cotton wool. Finally you close the gap by hand and sew in the last ray of sunshine. Your cuddly pillow is ready!
“High five for the pillow” – or whatever my cat was thinking! I think the sun pillow has turned out really cute. Now all I have to do is sew a cloud pillow and a collection of hailstones and I’ll have all the weather together :).